Monday, April 9, 2007

Instant Parents!



Since the last time we posted we’ve gotten an instant family! That’s right, one day we were newlyweds with out children and the next day we had four! Ages 4, 3, 3, and 2! As you can imagine, our lives have been very different over the last week. Thankfully it’s only temporary. We’re staying at a friend’s house and taking care of her children while she is on vacation. The children aren’t really hers either. She works at a children’s home near Azrou and takes care of them with the help of another friend and her brother.



Our time here has been a learning experience. I now understand better what it really means to be a parent and how much of my time and energy will go towards my own children. Knowing this hasn’t dissuaded me from having children of my own, though. Instead I look forward with even greater anticipation because then I will be putting my energy into my children and not some one else’s. After we’ve put the children to bed for the night both of us collapse into bed, sleeping to prepare for the next day, hoping we’ll have the energy to keep up with them tomorrow.



Last Sunday we went to visit Tasha’s homestay family. They live close to the children’s home and we try to see them as often as possible. It was good to see them again, to talk to them, to eat with them. Those are the times when I feel the most connected with the culture and the content with living here. It had been cold and raining all day. We were starting to worry about getting home when one of our friends, who also works at the children’s home, came over. In his car. We asked him to take us with him when we left and we were very glad we did – by the time we got to our friend’s house it was snowing! It wasn’t sticking, which I thought was sad, Florida boy that I am. It was still beautiful….



This is my favorite time of year. The fields are green with wheat, the cherry trees are in bloom and all the countryside is green with the rain. I hold onto the promise of spring through the dry months. Sometimes I look out over the land and find it hard to imagine the green during the dry summer months. The house we are staying in is perfectly placed for enojying sunsets. Every day its different and every day its marvelous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a beautiful sunset!!

Learner said...

Hey Matthew and Tasha!

Don't worry... when Yahweh provides you with children He will also provide you with the wisdom and energy to care for them :)

Love you both,
Jonathan Mitchell