After 2 1/2 months of looking (have you read the story below?) we have FINALLY found an apartment.
Tasha had been to look at the house yesterday afternoon before I'd come home from work. Pretty soon after I got there, she called and said she was looking at an apartment that was a good possibility and would I come and have a look. So, I went down there to see the apartment. The lay out is nice, but it really needs some work -- painting, having a toilet installed, replacing some glass and fixing some of the door handles. We would want the land lord to do these things before we moved in and we really didn't expect him to agree to all our conditions. (In Morocco you usually rent "as is". The real estate agent had set up an appointment with him for 7pm to discuss price and our desires in the house. And amazingly, at that meeting, he agreed to all of our conditions and was hoping to have it all done by next week! We liked the place, the land lord, and the neighbors. The only catch was the utilities bill is shared by all three apartments in the building. We didn't really like the idea (we were worried about disagreements with our neighbors every month) but apparently, the bills will just be split equally between us.
So, it all looked good, but we wanted to think about it over night and get back to him in the morning. At that point, he said,"You have to decide tonight! If you wait until tomorrow morning I'll have rented it to some one else!" We didn't really know what to do so we went into another room to pray about it. As we prayed, we both had peace about it, so we told our land lord that we'll take it! I'm still a little overwhelmed...
We're excited because our new neighbors seem really friendly. We're looking forward to lots of company during Ramadan (which starts about the 12th of September). It should be a great time to meet the people who live near us and our friends will be much happier to visit if they don't have to climb a hill to get to us. :)
Thank you all for your prayers. We hope to move in within the next 2 weeks. We'll post some pictures after we do...
Tasha had been to look at the house yesterday afternoon before I'd come home from work. Pretty soon after I got there, she called and said she was looking at an apartment that was a good possibility and would I come and have a look. So, I went down there to see the apartment. The lay out is nice, but it really needs some work -- painting, having a toilet installed, replacing some glass and fixing some of the door handles. We would want the land lord to do these things before we moved in and we really didn't expect him to agree to all our conditions. (In Morocco you usually rent "as is". The real estate agent had set up an appointment with him for 7pm to discuss price and our desires in the house. And amazingly, at that meeting, he agreed to all of our conditions and was hoping to have it all done by next week! We liked the place, the land lord, and the neighbors. The only catch was the utilities bill is shared by all three apartments in the building. We didn't really like the idea (we were worried about disagreements with our neighbors every month) but apparently, the bills will just be split equally between us.
So, it all looked good, but we wanted to think about it over night and get back to him in the morning. At that point, he said,"You have to decide tonight! If you wait until tomorrow morning I'll have rented it to some one else!" We didn't really know what to do so we went into another room to pray about it. As we prayed, we both had peace about it, so we told our land lord that we'll take it! I'm still a little overwhelmed...
We're excited because our new neighbors seem really friendly. We're looking forward to lots of company during Ramadan (which starts about the 12th of September). It should be a great time to meet the people who live near us and our friends will be much happier to visit if they don't have to climb a hill to get to us. :)
Thank you all for your prayers. We hope to move in within the next 2 weeks. We'll post some pictures after we do...
1 comment:
I got your thank you card. Thanks! It made me laugh and miss you. Amy Jackson is here and asked about you. She said you were so nice!
Post a Comment